The temps are steadily dropping and that can only mean one thing – comfort food time! Try this fan-favorite from top caterer Abigail Kirsch (of event venue Abigail Kirsch at The Loading Dock in Stamford) for their Mini Mac & Cheese Cupcakes.
MINI MAC & CHEESE CUPCAKES
(Yield: 30 cupcakes)
8 oz ditalini pasta
4 Tbsp butter (½ stick)
1 small onion, diced small
¼ cup flour
2 cups whole milk
Salt & pepper to taste
8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup panko crumbs (or regular dry bread crumbs)
1 tsp chili powder
Tomato Chutney (recipe follows or use good quality jarred chutney or salsa)
2 scallion, thinly sliced
- Cook ditalini according to package instructions. The pasta must be fully cooked, not al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Sauté onion over medium heat in butter until soft. Sprinkle flour over the butter and onions and cook, stirring, until mixtures bubbles.
- Add milk while stirring and cook stirring all the while until the sauce comes to a simmer and thickens.
- Remove the sauce from the stove and stir in 6 oz of the grated cheddar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix pasta with the sauce.
- Mix panko crumbs with chili powder.
- Spray mini muffin tins with Pam and sprinkle the seasoned crumbs in the muffins wells.
- Spoon the ditalini mix into the muffin tins and top with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes or until set. Muffins may be refrigerated at this point and reheated for 2 to 3 minutes until warm.
- Spoon a small amount of chutney on top of each mini muffin and garnish with scallion.
3 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced small
½ red pepper, diced small
½ red onion, diced small
¾ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup white sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup golden raisins
Mix together all ingredients and cook over medium heat until thickened. Cool before serving.
Brought to you by Abigail Kirsch