BUILD-YOUR-OWN FISH TACOS
Makes 4 servings
We like to make so many types of tacos that it was hard to choose just one to include here. In this recipe, we mix up the seasoning a bit to give the cod a little extra kick. Feel free to go more or less with any of the spices below. Or to keep it really easy, you can season the cod simply, before roasting, with just salt, pepper, oregano, and lemon zest. Have fun!
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1⁄2 pounds fresh cod fillets
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
8 (6-inch) corn or flour tortillas
1 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
1⁄4 cup minced cilantro, for garnish
1 cup shredded purple cabbage
1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Combine the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Place the cod on a foil-lined sheet pan and rub generously on both sides with the spice mixture. Drizzle with the olive oil.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the fish is flaky and cooked through. Remove from the oven.
4. In a large skillet or directly over a gas burner at medium heat, warm the tortillas briefly, flipping once with tongs. Place on plates.
5. Break the fish into large chunks and divide among the tortillas.
6. Top with the avocado slices, cilantro, and cabbage and serve with lime wedges.
Bringing your kids into the kitchen has never been more fun than with this new cookbook by Madeline and Anna Zakarian—whose dad is celebrity chef Geoffrey Zakarian. The Family That Cooks Together features 85 recipes that are simple enough for kids to follow along with, and so delicious they’ll make even the younger set happy.