Looking for a delicious July 4 treat? Try this recipe from The Dessertist, Samantha Eichenberg. Find more patriotic, kid-friendly recipes like this one in our July/August issue-on stands now!
ICE CREAM COOKIE SANDWICHES
Makes 30 3-inch cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¾ granulated sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- ½ scraped vanilla bean
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon fine kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using the paddle attachment cream together butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy and light, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all of your dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking powder.
- Once the butter is light and fluffy add in the honey and fully mix. Next, add eggs one at a time. Then add the vanilla bean and vanilla extract, mix them together and begin to add dry ingredients ½ to ¾ cup at a time.
- Separate dough into sections (usually 2 to 3 per batch). Lightly sprinkle flour onto a clean surface. Take one of sections and create a small crater in the middle of the dough. Add in your choice of food coloring. Fold and knead the dough gently and quickly until you have incorporated food coloring.
- Scoop dough or layer colors together onto parchment paper into a log-like shape, wrap up and let refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Before baking, let dough soften just a bit. Roll into a log and using a knife slice into 1/4-inch slices. Place cookies on a parchment- lined pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges.
- Once cookies have baked and cooled, scoop your favorite ice cream into the center and sandwich the cookies together.