- 5 large heirloom tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 46-ounce can tomato juice
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red pepper, seeded
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup black olives-pitted
- 1⁄2 cup green olives
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Maldon salt to taste
1. Roughly chop 3⁄4 of the English cucumber, 1⁄2 the red onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 1⁄2 the seeded red pepper, 1⁄4 cup of green olives and 1⁄4 cup of the black olives.
2. Add the rough chopped ingredients to the bowl of a mixer.
3. Add vinegar, Worcestershire, olive oil and tomato juice to the mixer bowl.
4. Add bread until completely covered, and let sit for 10 minutes. Blend mixture until smooth.
5. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Garnish with 1⁄2 the red pepper, seeded and diced, 1⁄4 cup the green olives sliced into rounds, 1⁄4 cup the black olives sliced into rounds, the scallions, plus the fresh basil.
7. Drizzle with olive oil, fresh cracked pepper and Maldon salt. Serve chilled.
Robin Selden is the executive chef and managing partner at Marcia Selden Catering in Stamford, CT.