This pretty cake has the bright flavor of lemon.
MAKES ONE 6-INCH ROUND CAKE (SERVES 2 TO 4)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for the pan Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon glaze, recipe follows
- Edible flower petals, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the sides of a 6-inch round baking pan, place a circle of parchment in the bottom of the pan, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, the lemon zest, and the granulated and brown sugars. Add the egg, cream and vanilla, and mix to incorporate. Add the flour, baking powder and salt, and mix just until combined. Scrape into the prepared pan and bake until lightly browned on the edges, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the cake from the hot pan and coolcompletelyy on a wire rack.
- Pour the glaze on top of the cake in 3 additions, leaving about 10 minutes in between for the glaze to dry out a bit and set. If you don’t, the glaze will puddle on the platter. Decorate the perimeter of the top of the cake with flower petals.
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- Finely grated zest of 1⁄2 lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place the confectioners’ sugar in a medium bowl and add the zest. Whisk in enough lemon juice to make a very thick glaze with no lumps.
All products featured on Serendipity are independently selected by our editors. However, when you buy something through our retail links, we may earn an affiliate commission. RECIPE EXCERPTED FROM SWEET LITTLE CAKES FROM MRS. ZABAR’S BAKESHOP: PERFECT DESSERTS FOR SHARING, BY TRACEY ZABAR. PHOTOGRAPHS BY ELLEN SILVERMAN. RIZZOLI, 2023. REPRINTED WITH PERMISSION.