If you’re like us, you never met a beauty product you didn’t want to try. From true problem solvers to anti-aging to bold makeup, the world of beauty is big and sometimes overwhelming. Enter the Serendipity Beauty Blog, where our editorial team will bring you new content about the latest in the beauty industry, and the classics that have stood the test of time. Have something you want us to learn more about for you? Join the conversation with us by commenting below!
Q & A with the Founder of TULA Skincare
Are you in the market for a new clean skincare routine? TULA Skincare is a leader in the probiotic skincare arena. They believe in combining probiotics with skin superfoods in their products for the ultimate skin. Tula was founded by Dr. Roshini Raj, a practicing gastroenterologist at NYU and a best-selling author. We spoke to Dr. Roshini Raj about the brand she created and the benefits of the ingredients used in their products! Plus – find out the products she recommends to get your skin in the best shape!
We’ve heard our whole lives to take a probiotic for our stomachs. What is the benefit of them for our skin?
“I am a big believer in approaching beauty from the inside out. A happy and healthy body is going to radiate beauty and gut health has a very strong impact on skin health! Probiotics are friendly, healthy good-for-you bacteria that work to improve your health, both inside and out. Probiotics act as a protective layer on the skin, locking in moisture for a more radiant, hydrated and balanced appearance. Probiotics are clinically proven to reduce the appearance of inflammation and can also help to reduce the appearance of redness and irritation, which helps improve the skin’s clarity and tone. Probiotics help defend the skin against age-accelerating environmental stressors and free radicals, which can help the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. People with all types of skin (sensitive, dry, oily or acne prone) are likely to see improvements in their complexions by introducing probiotics (either topically or ingesting- ideally both!) into their regimen. “
Tula prides itself on being a clean and effective brand. Can you talk to us about the ingredients found in Tula’s products and what benefits they have to offer?
“ All our products are formulated with clean, effective ingredients including good-for-you probiotics and superfoods. Probiotics and superfoods help maintain the skin’s microbiome and balance the skin. We’ve included lingonberry and algae for bluelight protection, fruit enzymes for chemical exfoliation and so much more. “
In today’s world it’s sometimes hard to be confident especially with social media being such a driving force in our lives. What is confidence to you and how does it translate to the Tula empire you’ve created?
“For me, TULA is powered by how our results make our customers feel. While our products help balance the skin’s microbiome and restore its natural balance, it’s really about helping customers look and feel better in their skin. Confidence is so important to the TULA mission and is at the center of everything we do, whether it’s showing people with real skin or creating a diverse, inclusive community. “
We’re in the midst of a global pandemic and many of us have been home for several months. If someone wants to make sure their skin is in the best shape for the world re- opening, what four Tula products would you recommend they have in their skincare routine?
“ Choosing is so hard! Right now, I’ve been loving our new Signature Glow Mist and the Protect + Glow SPF. Both of these have blue light protection which is so important while we’re using technology more and of course SPF is an everyday essential. I’ve also been using our Face Filter Primer which is brightening and hydrating but also gives a gorgeous glow and gives my skin a break from heavy makeup. Other than that, the Glow & Get It Eye Balm lives in my purse (& on my desk) for on the go brightening and is one of our best sellers – we had a waitlist of over 20k when it sold out! “
10 Summer Must-Haves!
Twenty years ago, the first Bluemercury store opened in Washington DC with a new model in mind for shopping luxury beauty. Creating a dedicated space to come shop the top lines, get expert advice and even some beauty treatments. Recently, our Editor Lisa Kennedy visited the New Canaan location to pick out her 10 must-have products for summer.
- Vita Liberata Fabulous Self Tanning Gradual Tan Lotion: Completely organic, this lotion uses ingredients like papain (comes from papayas) and Marula oil to lightly hydrate your skin and reveal a sun kissed glow. Use it on it’s own for a sun-kissed look or with another self-tanner to keep skin moisturized for longer lasting color.
- Lune+Aster RealGlow® Skin Tint: Free of harsh chemicals, this lightweight skin tint helps smooth your overall appearance for a clean, flawless face.
- Kiehl’s Crème de Corps: This beauty classic is quite simply the ultimate body moisturizer. Formulated with Sesame oil, cocoa butter and other key ingredients, this non-greasy lotion nourishes skin while locking in its natural moisture.
- Fresh Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Treatment: Protect and treat your lips with this cult fave that nourishes your lips for up to six hours while providing a just kissed tint.
- Supergoop! Sunshine in a Box Set (limited edition, in stores only): Perfect to keep in your bag on-the-go this package comes with three products to get your Vitamin D fix all summer long. It includes HUM Nutrition Here Comes the Sun High Potency Vitamin D3 for healthy skin and a strong immune system, Supergoop!’s Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 which provides ultimate protection with the lightest touch and Supergoop!’s Defense Refresh (Re)setting Mist SPF 40 which provides easy to apply (even over your makeup) protection throughout the day.
- M-61 Hydraboost Collagen+Peptide Water Cream: New from M-61, this anti-aging cream is a must-try for anyone looking for younger looking skin. This dermatologist tested cream has a rich, creamy texture without a heavy feeling on your skin.
- NARS Bronzing Powder: This award winning bronzing powder comes in four shades designed to match every skin tone and give it a beautiful sun-kissed glow. It’s great to keep in your beach bag or on a night out to add a golden shimmer to your skin.
- NEST New York White Peach & Honeysuckle Classic Candle: Created with Blue Mercury Co-Founder Marla Beck, this new candle fills any space with bold yet light floral scents.
- SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic: This best-selling product uses antioxidants and other key ingredients to help your skin build collagen and reveal younger skin. A few drops each morning before you moisturize will take your skin to the next level.
- Chantecaille Longest Lash Faux Cils Mascara: The newest formulation uses peptide technology to give your lashes a bold, clean look.
Transport Yourself to Aruba!
– Aloe Vera gel
– Brown Sugar
– Extra virgin olive oil
– Small bowl
– Stick to mix with
- Place 1/4 cup of brown sugar in a small bowl
- Add 1 tablespoon of Aloe Vera gel
- Add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Gently massage the mixture on your skin to exfoliate
- Rinse the scrub off alternating between cold and warm water
Minimalist Makeup for You & Your Teen
Undone Beauty is an affordable minimalist makeup brand the strives for women to embrace their natural beauty. If your teen is looking to explore the world of makeup, a minimalist brand like Undone Beauty may be the perfect avenue! From their Unfoundation Tint to their Lip to Cheek 3-in-Palette, you or your teen can achieve a natural makeup look in minutes. Recently, our team tested out some of the Undone Beauty products and embraced the natural look. Here are some of our favorites:
LIP & CHEEK