The Cloud Cake Recipe
Serves 15 to 20
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar, divided (1 cup and ½ cup)
- 12 large room-temperature egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon fine kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Whipped Sweet Cream
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 4 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 scraped vanilla bean
FILLING/FRUIT: Fresh strawberries and blueberries or your choice of fruit
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl add 1 cup of flour and salt.
- Place egg whites into bowl for the stand mixer. Add in vanilla bean and 1 cup of the granulated sugar and continue to mix. Once ingredients are mixed together begin adding the dry mixture and remaining ½ cup of sugar. Continue to process on medium speed until batter is well mixed and fluffy (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add in 1 tsp of Cream of Tartar and mix until soft peaks begin to form. At this stage begin to slowly add the remaining ¼ cup of granulated sugar (about 2 tablespoons at a time). Add in the vanilla and fresh lemon juice and mix completely until peaks hold their shape.
- Transfer egg white mixture to a larger bowl and begin sifting the flour/sugar mixture in ¼ cups at a time. Gently fold the mixture into the egg whites. Once all the flour is folded into the eggs spread the batter evenly into three ungreased 9-inch pans.
- Using a knife gently cut through the batter to break up any air pockets. Place into the center rack of the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the cake has a slight golden crust and springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove and let cakes cool completely.
- Place the cream cheese in the mixing bowl and with the whisk attachment give it a quick mix to break down the block. Add the heavy cream, vanilla bean and powdered sugar and turn the mixer to medium speed. As the cream becomes thick gradually increase the speed of the mixer until you have reached full speed, about 4-5 minutes. Continue to mix until the whipped sweet cream frosting is thick and holds stiff peaks.
- Let layers cool completely in pan; then put the cake together. On bottom layer place 1 cup of cream and spread evenly. Add fresh fruit and cover with next layer. Repeat until all 3 layers have been stacked, iced and fruit added. Chill before serving and garnish with slices of fresh fruit.